TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

This is question as part of my free trial. Please do not

Hello. This is a follow up question as part of my free trial.
Please do not answer if I have to pay again!Can you advise please where I can find a definitive list of expenses which can be legitimately used to offset rental profit.Specifically, can I legitimately claim tax relief against the Community charge we had to pay whilst the flat was empty (whilst awaiting a tenant) and similary the utility bills (mainly standing charges for water, gas electricity)The community charge we had to pay for the fallow period was about £300 so potentially £90 back in relief (average tax rate 30% as I am 40% tax rate and my husband is 20%). The utilities bills only come to about £90 combined so that's not so significant (£27 - I know you can do the sums!!)Thank you.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Here is a list:

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax

You can claim a deduction for council tax and utilities costs you pay during vacant periods.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.