bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Trying to work out if we will have to pay second property

Customer Question

Hi, trying to work out if we will have to pay second property stamp duty of 3% on UK property - wife and I non-resident UK citizens, wife moving to UK with kids for at least a couple of years. Do I go into further detail now?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Here is the guidance from the Gov UK web site:

'From 1 April 2016 the rates for Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) will be higher if you buy an additional residential property for £40,000 or more in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

You’ll also pay the higher rate if you buy a residential property in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and you already own one outside these countries.'

Thus, if you already own a property overseas then the 3% surcharge will apply. The key word here is 'own,' If you merely rent then the surcharge would appear not to apply.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this but just to confirm don't we also get a refund if we sell a property that was a main residence in the last three years and as long as we sell it within three years of purchasing the new property?

Here is a further extract from the guidance:

'If you buy a new main residence but the sale for your previous main residence is delayed you’ll pay the higher rates as you own 2 properties.

But you can get a refund for the amount above the normal SDLT rates if you sell your previous main residence within 3 years.'

So your surmise is essentially correct.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.