How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15914
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I filed my self assessment tax returns period of 2012/2013.

Customer Question

I filed my self assessment tax returns for the period of 2012/2013. Then 14 months later due t an error made by accountant , i had to personally file the revised tax returns .which was on paper based.
by the end of the year i received a letter from HMRC accepting my revised tax returns with no penalty. which i paid in due course.
Now i have an other issue .HMRC cannot issue me wit ha SA302 i made over 30 phone calls, but different officers give me different information. how ever one thing is clear they dont have my revised tax records in their system , some officers say they system would be updated with my new details in "due course" but it never happened
SO i urgently need to get my up to date tax records. Can some one pleases help me to sort this matter .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.


Was the version of the 2013 tax return submitted by your accountant online? Do you have a copy of the revised paper version of the tax return? Do you have a copy of the letter from HMRC confirming that they received the revised tax return? When was this exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The HMRC system doesnt allow us to file tax returns online as i twas resubmitted after 12 months from the first submission.Hence I resubmitted a paper based tax returns. I have a letter and i paid the right amount of tax based on the resubmission
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

What is the date of the HMRC letter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11 Dec 2015 but we submitted tax return somewhere in March same year
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.


Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Thanx
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

I was aware that once the 12 month window for revising a return has passed, it cannot be revised online and has to be done on paper.

Given that six months has passed since HMRC wrote to you, I think you need to make a complaint. Set out the sequence of events on a piece of paper. Call the tax office on the number here and ask to speak to a complaints manager. Don't let the person who answers the phone offer to help as that has clearly got you nowhere so far. When you get to speak to a complaints manager, explain the situation using your chronological list. I assume that you need the SA302 for a mortgage so you need to impress on the complaints manager the urgency of the situation. In my experience, the complaints managers are good at getting things done which appear to have hit a brick wall so make sure you express your dissatisfaction with how your case has been handled to date.

I did have a case a few years ago where the HMRC computer wouldn't accept a revised tax return even though the revision was within the 12 month window. There was clearly a technical issue on the HMRC computer and my client's record so HMRC cleared the initial incorrect return, I gave it a couple of days and then I submitted the revised return. You might mention the possibility of clearing the original return to the complaints manager as I would be worried that they have mislaid your paper return.

I'm afraid that there are no easy solutions and you will just have to go through the complaints process to get your problem resolved.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I contacted a manger his advice was to send the revised tax details again to the same person with a covering letter .
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Keep a copy of everything you send to HMRC. Contact them again on the phone if you don't hear back from HMRC within a month.

Related Tax Questions