bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

As part of my new build home I want to get some hard

Customer Question

As part of my new build home I want to get some hard landscaping done - patio, steps under the doors,
kerbing along the sides of the drive and at the roadside, a retaining wall between the patio and a lawn area.
The house has not yet been signed off by building control as I have a couple of things still to do in the house.
SO, my question is, can the landscaper zero rate his work or do I have to try and claim the VAT back myself at a later date.
Chris Webb
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello Chris, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In my opinion the landscaping of a garden is not part of a dwelling house with the definitions contained in VAT Notice 708 and cannot be zero rated; it is a standard rated supply. Furthermore I cannot see how any VAT paid on such a service can ever be reclaimed in the circumstances set out in your scenario. You can find the Notice here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction/vat-notice-708-buildings-and-construction#dwellings-relevant-residential-purpose-and-relevant-charitable-purpose---an-explanation-of-terms

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.