taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have not been employed in the UK time, how can I check if

I have not been employed in the UK for a long time, how can I check if they are asking for tax? I live in Thailand and work in Iraq, although hold a UK passport.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you had registered for self assessment whilst you were employed in the UK?

Do you get any communication from HMRC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
back in 2009/10 was the last time.

Thank you for your reply.

If you have not received any communication from HMRC that would suggest they are not in possession of your current address.

If you were registered for self assessment and registered for online filing, then you can log in HMRC services using your Government Gateway user ID and password ***** you will be able to access your self assessment account. It would show your current tax position.

I am not sure if you completed a Form P85 when you first left the UK for overseas. If you had, HMRC would have updated your tax records and you would be treated as non resident for UK tax purposes. You would not be liable to UK tax unless you have income arising in the UK.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes