Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have recently been made redundant and haven't worked

hi, i have recently been made redundant and haven't worked since, i did an online TAX calculation to check if i had over paid income tax against my earnings for this tax year 2016-17. The calculation advised i had over paid by approx 10k. However when i applied for a rebate to the inland revenue i received a rebate up to the current date of approx £800. I have called the tax office to find out why i haven't been paid the full amount. They appear to want to make an adjustment on my tax code if/when i get another job. Can i insist on the full rebate?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response

No you cannot get a full rebate as we are still in the tax year 2016/2017 and you may get further work or activate a pension entitlement or claim benefits - so at this stage the refund just wards the tax due based on the personal allowances you have not used.

You can however make another claim 4 weeks form the date this refund was made. HMRc should have provided you with a revised P45 so you can make a furtehr claim then to use the previous four weeks worth if unused personal allowances to generate a further tax refund and you can do this every 4 weeks all the time you do not take on new employment make a claim for benefits OR receive another form of income.

If however you do secure further employment then use your latest P45 (as issued by HMRC) to the new employer and further refunds will come through your wages if deemed till be due based on allowances unused and higher rates tax no longer deemed to be due.

Do let me know if I can assist further but if you have all that you need, it would be appreciatd if you could rate the level of service I have provided (or click accept)