Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

It is about tax as a consultant united nations, Sure!

Hi, it is about tax as a consultant for the united nations
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Sure!
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I am a non UK citizen who moved to the UK in late 2015. I decided to start a self-employed business, even if I didn’t get any piece of work (so zero profits) for the first months. Between Jan-Mar 2015 I have been employed as a consultants for the United Nations overseas, for which I received a salary (payroll) and non-payroll allowances for travel and accommodation.According to the United Nations I should be treated as an “official”, i.e. tax exempt, but I am aware of RE2415 that says exemptions only apply to staff and not to consultants.I am now trying to complete my self-assessment for tax year 2015-2016 and I am very confused. Does my consultancy with the United Nations count as “employment”, “self-employment”, or “foreign income”? Do I have to include only payroll (payments) or also travel/living allowances? Please note that no payslips are issued for travel/living allowances.To complicate matters further, my salary and allowances were determined in USD, although payslips also indicate the value in GBP.I would appreciate any help on this issue.Thanks,A confused consultant
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry, I meant Jan- Mar 2016
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

You will complete both the foreign income page and employment page for this consultancy work - and if your expenses were wholly and exclusively in the performance of your duties then you will declare this as benefits within employment so its initially added to your income - but then void it out by claiming expenses for the same amount.

Then you also will have the self employment section for your business which you advsie was NIL profits.

I hope this sheds light on the situation

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Dear *****,thanks for your quick reply. I checked under foreign income and I couldn't find any relevant "label" for this sort of employment. It mostly referred to rent from property abroad, investments, etc. Where does this type of income fit?As for the claiming the travel&subsistence allowance as expenses, should this go under the self-employed section?Thanks again fro your help
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your response

Its just employment as you are not an official and exempt- and you are p[aid a salary and travel expenses (so its not self employment)

Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

No the claim for expenses and the benefits paid go on the employment section as indicated above

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wonderful. One last question: how do I work out the GBP amount? Is there an official exchange rate or I can use the actual amount I received in my bank account?
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

You advsie that your payslips indicate in sterling - but if you had any payments such as the expenes paid USD then use the conversions rates here (HMRC prepared)

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/exchange-rates-for-customs-and-vat

And convert each payment at the appropriate paid date

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you! Just to clarify:
- my salary goes under employment (I will then add a note to specify that it is not a UK employer so no PAYE number, P60 form, etc.) - I will use the GBP amount stated in my payslip;
- my travel and living allowance goes as income under "Tips and other payments not on your P60" (or is it a "taxable benefit"?) and I will use the calculator tool to work out the exchange rate.
- my travel and living allowance also goes as expense under "employment expenses"-> "Business travel and subsistence expenses"Is that correct?
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

For the salary you will complete BOTH the foreign and the employment (and on the foreign section indicate you had employment)

Then on the employment section you add those expenses in as taxable benefits and then ALSO add them in as business travel and subsistence expenses (as these will remin tax free IF incurred through the performance of your duties) so almost right!

Do let me know if I can assist further - but it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh I see - so I say in the foreign section that I had income from employment abroad, and that this income was fully transferred to the UK, and that's it right?
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Yes - spot on ! Then you can show it came in from abroad - as per the forein declaration and that it was to be treated as employment on the employment page - and IF you suffered any USA tax deductions then you can claim this as a credit on the foreign tax section (as we have a double taxation treaty with the USA)

If you paid no USA tax - then no tax suffered to declare and it will all be treated as taxable (less your entitlement to personal allowances) to UK tax

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for your help!