bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

When my grandfather died he owed income tax to the

Customer Question

When my grandfather died he owed income tax to the government and even though there was not enough money left in his estate, my grandmother was made to pay it out of her own salary for for quite a few years. She was working because he has died & left no money so why did she have to pay his tax bill. They had run a post office before he died which he bankrupted. She was never able to buy property because of his debt as she was paying it back out of he wages. What is the legal situation of this. He died in 1967. Mcan it be claimed back as she paid it after his death
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I meant to say "pay it back out of HER wages I also meant to say "can it be claimed back"
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

This sounds entirely wrong to me. Spouses have not been responsible for one another's debts since the passing of the Married Woman's Property Act, 1882. You must remember that it takes a long time for Government Departments to catch up with new legislation and this particular gem is only some 130 years old!.

In the UK a husband and wife are separate persons for Income Tax (IT) purposes. She should consult a local, trusted solicitor to fight this case. Of course this costs so I would suggest in the first instance that the local Citizens' Advice Bureau be approached as they usually have family solicitors on tap to assist.

I do hope I have helped point you in the right direction.

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry meant to enclose his willw
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does this mean anything of significance - the file I just forwarded
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help i did suspect that was the case. Could you please let me know if the file I forwarded means anything of importance

It looks perfectly normal to me as a will with probate granted to one of the organisations to whom h was indebted. How the will was administered I know not, but the debt to the taxman would have ranked equally with his other debts unless the latter had been secured. There seems to be something fishy here.

Thank you for your support.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** seek further advise on this. How long can you claim tax for as this is from 1967 onwards. Than you so much for your help

Thank you too for your kind bonus.

Small amendment to my last post; line 1 delete 'h,' insert 'he.'

As under limitation law there is no time limit to tax debts I see no reason why it should not work in reverse. In Scotland there is a 20 year limit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you once again. I hope you enjoy the rest of your evening & just to let you know I have written a review. THANKYOU

Delighted to have been of assistance.