taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I would like to know how each year I can spend in the

I would like to know how long each year I can spend in the UK,without being liable to UK tax.
I have purchased a holiday apartment in England,but don't work or invest there any other way.I have a home in Australia which is not let out at any time.
I am semi retired,own a business in Australia and the time to be spent in the UK will be holiday only.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question..

You state you live in Australia and have a holiday home in the UK.

Based on information provided, provided you do not spend more than 90 days in a tax year (6 Apr to 5 Apr) in the UK, you would be deemed non resident.

A set of statutory rules came in to force wef 6 Apr 2013. Look at section dealing with arrivers and the the sufficient ties test ..

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions ,please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply. With only 1 tie, ie the apartment in the UK, am I not entitled to a period in excess of 90 days per tax year?

Thank you for your reply..

Technically, you can stay upto 182 days each year as in later years unless your circumstances change you would have not more than 2 ties

1 - property in UK

2. you would have stayed maore than 90 days in prevous years.

I was stating 90 days to take care of one of the potential ties.

I hope this is helpful.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry to appear a little 'thick', can I then safely stay 182 days every year. I have not spent 90 days in the UK in previous tax years. I don't anticipate any further other ties.

Thank you for your reply.

As you do not anticipate having any further other ties in the foreseeable future, then you can safely stay in the UK for 182 days every tax year.

I hope this is helpful.

Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Brilliant, thank you for your assistance. I will now complete the survey regarding your excellent service. Regards, Sid

Thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.