Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I left UK in September 2013 to go to Qatar and classified my

I left UK in September 2013 to go to Qatar and classified my self as non-tax resident of UK. I moved to UAE in January 2016 and my contract was terminated mid June 2016. If I return to UK to work, do I have to pay tax on my overseas earnings for this tax year? I will be given 6 months salary as per termination clause.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Only HMRC can classify your official residency status - and you should have completed form P85 when you took this overseas post up in Sept 2013.

But can you advise

1) Visits back to the UK between Sept 2013 and 05/04/2014

2) Visits back to the UK from 06/04/2014 to 05/04/2015

3) Visits back to the UK from 06/04/2015 to 05/04/2016

4) When your contract ceased in Qatar - did you then go straight to UAE or did you come back to the UK for a visit

5) Are you back in the UK - if so when did you arrive

6) Visits back to the UK from 06/042016 to the date you finally returned

7) Will the 6 months salary be paid before you return to the UK

I can then advsie your residency position and more importantly your position for this tax year

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam,Thank you for your help. Answers below....I completed form P85 when I left the UK in Sep 2013.1) No visits
2) 1 visit for 2 weeks approx
3)1 visit for 10 days approx
4) I went straight to UAE from Qatar
5) No i am still in UAE sorting out clearance, and then will probably go to Qatar for a while to stay with friends
6) No visits
7) Yes, into my UAE bank account (hopefully in next couple of days), that I can keep open even if I leave the UAE.Regards
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your responses

Then you will not be liable to tax on this 6 months termination payment as made

1) Whilst still not UK resident for tax purposes

2) In lieu of overseas contract

Do let me know if I can assist further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam,Thank you , last part of question sorry - what would happen if I accepted a job in UK in next month, and became a UK Tax resident again?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

As long as the payment is made before your return to the UK then it remains free of UK tax.

Then from your arrival back to the Uk - you will be entitled to full personal allowances against the UK income (as long as not in excess of £100K for the reminder of the year - as this sees a loss of personal allowances for £1 for every £2 over the £100K threshold)

If you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept) but so let me know if I can assist further