taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Our main residence years is now let. We officially moved

Customer Question

Our main residence for ten years is now let. We officially moved May2014 and sold a part of the garden as a buildiing plot in November 2015.
I was advised that selling the plot as part of our main residence was not subject to CGT. As the sale took place within 3 years of moving I believe this is still the case. Do we need to declare this sale on our self assessment tax return?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question..

The plot was integral part of the main residence and would therefor qualify for private residence relief.

The plot was sold within 18 months of moving out.. You would declare the gain from sale of land on supplementary pages SA108 - Capital Gains summary . and explain whey CGT is not payable in "any other information box".

More information on this can be found under "garden and grounds" here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-residence-relief-hs283-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs283-private-residence-relief-2016

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.