Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have just received notification that HMRC will be paying

Customer Question

I have just received notification that HMRC will be paying me a visit to examine my records for my SA Return 2014/2015 which I understand is OK but they also want to examine my vat records for the period July 2012 to December 2015. Can they do this?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: like what
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Yes they can - they are permitted to examine and time frame they wish and now VAT and Tax departments are all under one legal department - it will be the same officers who attend to review your records as they will be duel trained in both regimes of taxes.

And all of the dates are within the time frame for which you should have retained records, so I assume that is not an issue.

Let me know if I can assist further