Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Supplementary question. I am a UK national with a US wife.

Hello again - supplementary question. I am a UK national with a US wife. If I put in a return in the UK next year can my wife only put in a return in the US or is she obliged as my wife to put in a return in the UK as well?Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your new question

Its depends on what income she will have and whether it will affect the UK tax position - can you advise what income she will have when living in the Uk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She will be receiving dividend income from a share portfolio only into a US bank account plus realising capital gains and transferring the results from the US into a UK bank account. She has no pensions at all or other income resources and at the moment makes a tax declaration in the US and France. The question is can she be only technically resident in the US while married to me putting in a tax return in the UK?Thanks Mike
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike

Thanks for your question

Then your wife will need to complete a self assessment tax return as she will have income that needs to be considered in the UK - but if this has suffered USA tax then she can claim credit for this to offset against and UK tax consideration.

Si she will need to apply for a UK National Insurance number so she can arrange to file self assessment - links for both of these below

Applying for a National Insurance number https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Registering for self assessment https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-register-for-self-assessment-and-get-a-tax-return-sa1

She will be treated as resident in the UK due to her geographic location and this should be advised to the US IRS

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Just a thought - will any of this income enter or be used in the UK - and how long do you both plan to reside in the UK (just checking the remittance basis position)