bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

If my pension fund is untouched and Idie OVER the age of

Customer Question

If my pension fund is untouched and Idie OVER the age of 75years and the fund tals around £300,000 would it pass tomy beneficiaries tax freeas it is untouched?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As you are probably aware under the old rules you would have to convert your pension pot to an annuity without the option at the age of 75. However, the rules have now changed and here is the guidance from the Gov UK web site:

'Anyone who dies with a drawdown arrangement or with uncrystallised pension funds at or over the age of 75 will also be able to nominate a beneficiary to pass their pension to.

The nominated beneficiary will be able to access the pension funds flexibly, at any age, and pay tax at their marginal rate of income tax.

There are no restrictions on how much of the pension fund the beneficiary can withdraw at any one time. There will also be an option to receive the pension as a lump sum payment, subject to a tax charge of 45%.'

So there you have it, beneficiaries can receive your pension pot, but taxed. Always bear in mind Benjamin Franklin's dictum that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes and it certainly applies here. The principle behind this treatment has always been that although your contributions have been subject to relief from taxation any benefit therefrom is generally taxed.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.