Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My husband has late tax penalties unpaid years which have

Customer Question

My husband has late tax penalties unpaid for ten years which have resulted in a bill of 21k. He has neglected it until it they are now demanding full payment which we don't have. He has always paid his tax via cis.. These are penalty charges. Please advise as I am afraid and it is making us both very ill. We are prepared to pay it monthly at 500 a month.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question - I amS am and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Are the penalties as he has field to submit tax returns with income and CIS tax suffered (along with any expenses claim) ? Or for actual tax that HMRC state is due?

Please advsie further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not for actual tax just penalties over ten years
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

So has he submitted all outstanding tax returns?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
apart from last year's. He hasn't been working but he still didn't do a return.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Then most of the penalties would have been reduced if he owed no tax? When did he submit these and HMRC taken these into account with the demands being made ? Did your husband remember to declare the CIS tax suffered?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He hasn't done anything not even provided the cis certificates. Can they take possession of things in the house?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am more than certain that if he had completed returns correctly the tax office would owe us money... He has had long periods of unemployment and never signed on either
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

If he has filled in the outstanding tax returns then he should have declared the income he earned through self employment and the tax suffered -

Yes they can take possession of things in the house - but intially they wouldjust come and list the value before taking it to court -

It seems to me you need to ring HMRC to

1) establish why the penalties are so high

2) Ensure they have processed the tax returns and the tax suffered has been accounted for

3) then ask whether this has reduced the penalties and if not then why not

This situation can be bettered but if you think he has completed the return wrong then might I recommend you engage a local accountant to

1) appeal and ask for time whilst the accountant looks at matters for you

2) Get all put right to establish the true outstanding penalties due

3) then establish a payment plan for anything your husband might still owe

Do let me know if I can assist further