Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a Pakistani national married to an EU citizen and

Hi, I am a Pakistani national married to an EU citizen and resident and working in the UK since 2014. My siblings and I have sold our inherited propert in Pakistan and I wish to bring my share to the uk together with a cash gift from my mother. Can you please guide me as to What tax am I liable for?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One correction, I am in the uk since Oct 2011 and employed full time since Feb 2012
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question _ I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

You will be liable to capital gains tax on your share of the profits from the sale of the property (assuming it was already in your name along with your siblings when the sale took place) but not on the cash gift from your mother (as gifts are not liable to tax)

You must declare the sale of this property to HMRC and will need to complete a self assessment tax return after 05/04/2017 to do this (assuming the sale took place after 06/04/2016) and any tax you owe will be due no later than 31/01/2018 (HMRC will notify you of how much this is)

Let me know if I can assist furtehr or if you need me to expand on any of the answer provided, or if the circumstances are different from those I have provided an answer for

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for this. One calcification, does this apply even if the property was inherited and I have limited leave to remain th the UK?
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Yes it does - it becomes tax consideration in the UK due to you being here in the UK and most importantly the fact you wish to being the money into the UK

Let me know if I can assist further. but if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided. (or click accept)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dear *****,Thank you, ***** ***** very useful.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome - please take the time out to rate me for the level of service provided (or click accept)

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax