TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have lived and worked in UAE as a non-resident years now.

I have lived and worked in UAE as a non-resident for three years now. I am due to come home in October. I was wondering if any of my money would be taxed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have lived in UAE August 2013, will be heading home October 2016.
I have nothing in the UK (no owned home etc)
I have sent money home on two occasions, will deposit more before I leave. Could this be taxed?
I have no job to go back to yet, so will not be working in the UK initially, but that could change if i am offered one
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

You would have stayed UK resident if you were abroad less than a full tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year). This means you usually pay UK tax on foreign income for the entire time you were away.

Wages or other employment income brought back from abroad is not taxed when you return.

As you will not be working when you come back you will not need to register for Self Assessment.

Any earnings on your deposits will be under UK tax when you return because you will be a resident again.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-return-uk

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been away for over three full years, and two full tax years - so I am not a resident, did not have to pay tax.
You say "Wages or other employment income brought back from abroad is not taxed when you return" so HMRC will not try to tax anything i earned while I was in the UAE for three years?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

That is correct. While you were not resident in the UK your wages were not taxable. Bringing them now into teh UK would not be taxable.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, Thank you!