Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I work as a maternity nurse /nanny ,in short term jobs

Customer Question

i work as a maternity nurse /nanny ,in short term jobs usually 6 days a week and then have a break between jobs .most of my work takes me overseas where i am at present .i have just seen a news article about filing and realised that i have neither registered as self employed or paid taxes since AUGUST 2014 when i left full time employment .i had severance pay and did not work for several months .What should i do and how do i g about it bearing in mind that I have limited access to paperwork etc .my present job is due to end in a couple of weeks and i will return to the uk .
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

First we need to establish whether you are/were self employed or employed -

So please advsie the following

1) Does all your work come via an agency or are you employed directly for the family requiring your services

2) You say these are short term jobs, so would you say that you live in the Uk and then take this work abroad as and when or that you short breaks in between jobs

3) Are you a UK citizen

4) From Aug 2014 to 05/04/2015 and then again 06/04/2015 to 05/04/2016 how may days (approx) would you say you have spent in the Uk and were any of these working and were all the rest then working abroad

5) Where do you stay when you are in the UK ?

6) when did this current position start

I can then at least advise you how to take this forward ( or even if you need to)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will get back to you in a few days - not in uk at moment and don't have access to all information you asked for. Thank youn
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for the update