TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have started a job with Atos health care in January 2016.I

I have started a job with Atos health care in January 2016.I do not pay NI but they deducted it for 2 months. About 500 pounds. Pay roll said it is up to the tax office to refund it. Please can you advise regards ***** *****
NINO YT477834D
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me why you don't pay NIC please. Are you over the age at which you stop paying?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I became eligible for state pension last July 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive tried phoning the tax office but never get through
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Strictly, your employer could make an amendment under the Real Time Information rules for PAYE to have your Class 1 NI deduction refunded. However, if they won't do that all you can do is to write to the address here explaining your situation and asking for a repayment of the NIC incorrectly deducted and giving them all the information asked for in the notes. Keep a copy of your P60 and the letter and chase them up on the phone after 4 weeks.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.