TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I live in Germany but do some freelance work for a UK

Hi, I live in Germany but do some freelance work for a UK company, paid in British pounds to a UK account. The income is between 1,000 and 2,000 pounds a year. Should I declare this income in the UK at all? (My German tax advisor says no, but I'm looking for a second opinion.) And if I have to declare it, can I declare it as casual income?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me what you do for the UK company exactly and where you do it please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I write short articles on average twice a month, paid 65 pounds each. I do it from my home in Germany (where I am also employed full time - in an unrelated industry).
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.

There is no need to dislcose the income to the UK tax authorities. You are working on a self-employed basis from Germany and the income will be taxable there. Article 7 of the UK/Germany tax treaty here deals with business profits. You aren't working through a permanent establishment in the UK, ie you don't have an office.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.