Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have a query and hope you can help me solve it. the house

Customer Question

Good morning
I have a query and hope you can help me solve it.
the house next door to me is being rented out by a fellow who owns/lives in another house in the area. A land registry search showed the house was remortgaged in November last year by this fellows wife and her address is given as the house next door to me. How can this be, as she definitely doesn't live there and never has. Would this indicate that the mortgage is not a buy to let mortgage?
Regards, Janet
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hi Janet

No not at all - even a buy to let would need to have a name attached on the deeds - and the deeds will always show the address to which the deeds relate to - it could simply be that they have not updated their address OR that its still their only owned residence - the main concern would be for council tax - and where and who this is paid on - that,s the real measure of a persons actual abode (so to speak)

But as far as the land registry and the deeds are concerned - this would have no law breaking consequences arising.

Let me know if I can assist further