Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I'm buying a house for £205k & have been told that as I own

Customer Question

I'm buying a house for £205k & have been told that as I own an apartment in Portugal I'm liable for a higher rate of stamp duty tax (£7,750) is this correct?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Yes I am afraid this is correct - its the fact that own a property already that determines the additional surcharge srising.

See guidance here from HMRC

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property

You can see this advsied

"You’ll also pay the higher rate if you buy a residential property in England, Wales or Northern Ireland and you already own one outside these countries."

Sorry the news is not more favourable, please do let me know if I can assist further or if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept) as this esnures Just Answer credit me for my time