TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have an unpaid tax bill from 1998, I moved overseas and

Customer Question

I have an unpaid tax bill from 1998, I moved overseas and never paid it- originally £12,000, now I assume a much bigger sum is owed- how do i approach HMRC to find out how much I owe and whether I can agree a realistic sum to settle and move forward
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

You are correct if you did not pay then the amount would be larger. If you don’t pay your tax on time, you’ll probably have to pay interest on the outstanding amount. You may also have to pay a penalty.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will ask you about:

• your income and expenditure
  • your assets, like savings and investments
  • what you’re doing to get your tax payments back in order

If HMRC believes you can pay all they will expect you to pay immediately and take payment over the phone by direct debit, credit or debit card.

Your ability to pay them less will be decided by HMRC.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/business-payment-support-service

If you rate in a positive way (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES) I am credited with responding. It adds nothing to your costs but it assists me.