TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I receive state pension. I haven't had tax code notices

I receive state pension. I haven't had tax code notices since I retired in 2011. The last one was 89P 2012-2013. My husband has recently died and has passed some of his pension on to me. I now have a tax code of 1100L M1 which I understand is an emergency code. Do I have to inform HMRC ? Will there be any consequences, of will they adjust my code?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

The M1 means your tax is based only on what you are paid in the current pay period, not the whole year. You are correct it is an emergency code.

The pension provider tells HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about the change to your situation. HMRC sends a new tax code to the pension provider. Once they’ve got it, they’ll use it to work out how much tax to take from your payments from the next time they pay you.

You will get a tax code notice telling you the new code. You only need to then contact HMRC if you think the new code is incorrect.