TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My mother is 71 years old and is concerned about Inheritance

my mother is 71 years old and is concerned about Inheritance Tax. She has a house worth roughly £200,000 which she wants to leave to her 2 children. What is the most tax efficient way to do this?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

If she leaves the home to anyone but a spouse (husband, wife or civil partner), it counts towards the value of her estate.

From 6 April 2017, she’ll get a bigger Inheritance Tax threshold if she leaves the home and it is her main home, to her children (including adopted, foster or stepchildren) or grandchildren.

If she gives the 2 children the home before she passes away then a time must be met.

There’s normally no Inheritance Tax to pay if she moves out and lives for another 7 years.

If she wants to continue living in her property after giving it away, she’ll need to:

• pay rent to the new owner at the going rate (for similar local rental properties)
  • pay her share of the bills
  • live there for at least 7 years

If the estate’s worth less than £325,000 (that is the threshold) then she would not have to worry about inheritance tax.

She can leave them the home or give it now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The total estate will certainly be less than £325,000 so I'm safe to advise her not to worry about Inheritance tax?