bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I wish to incorporate my current sole tradership but am

Good evening, I wish to incorporate my current sole tradership but am unsure what steps need to be taken in terms of the current bank balances, assets, equipment and so on, can it all be transferred over in some way?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

It is really very easy. Just obtain a ready made company from one of the many agencies. Then close your books and obtain a trial balance. This will give you the opening balances in the company's books of account and everything is transferred across. You will, of course, have to take up with your bankers the change of account titles and numbers. Simple, as the Mercat in the TV advert would say!.

There is no liability to Capital Gains Tax (CGT) at this stage as you would be entitled to Incorporation Relief. This relief postpones any CGT liability until you ultimately dispose of your shares in the company at some future, indeterminate date.

I do hope that I have been able to clear the air for you in this matter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Keith, thanks for your reply. Just to clarify...after speaking to the bank ref change of status etc am I able to continue using the same account? and concerning all my current stock, vehicles, clients, staff, office equipment and so on, what measures need to be taken in respect of those? my accounts from last year showed a minimal loss so I have no outstanding income tax.
Michelle

That is a matter for your bank and they will probably open new accounts for the company and close your business account.

As for the transfers of equipment, stocks etc then a simple note to yourself and the company authorising the transfer will suffice. Remember that in a company the company, its shareholders and directors are all separate legal entities. You will have to contact clients direct to advise them of the change. Any loss made can be offset against any other income tax liability in the relevant year for tax purposes.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site. You can still follow up after giving a rating.

Thank you for your support.