Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am resident overseas, but am registered self employed in

Customer Question

I am resident overseas, but am registered self employed in the uk. I work as a self employed teacher at a British University in the Summer, and I have declared this income to HMRC. I pay taxes in Poland where I also work as a self employed teacher. I also work for my brother in law who runs a telesales company in the uk, where I work as an appointment maker through the internet in Poland. Where should I declare this income. I would personally like to declare this income in the UK and in doing so, continue playing Class 2 NI contributions. It is also easier for me to complete the tax return in the UK as I don't speak Polish. Can I legally do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a British Citizen.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

How many days you spend in the UK and how many in Poland? Then I can advise further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spend no more than 6 weeks in the UK each year. The rest of my time is spent in Poland.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response

Then your tax position will be dealt with in Poland as you will be treated as not resident in the UK, (as you spend less than 901 days in the UK) and any UK tax suffered you then claim as a tax credit against your Polish tax position (or if you have claimed a UK tax refund or paid no tax as you advsie this is self employment then just declare the income to the Polish tax office.

You cannot have your whole tax position dealt with in the UK I am afraid and whilst you can pay Class 2 National Insurance - at year end your earnings are below the limit of the charge arising, but can choose to pay these voluntarily (through self assessment)

You are best trying to find a tax adviser in Poland who speaks English (of which there will be many)

Let me know if I can assist further