taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am preparing my tax return to 5 April 2016. During that

I am preparing my tax return to 5 April 2016. During that year, I had a major problem with npower who had supplied gas and electric to my former home and made a complete mess of the bills. During the course of our ongoing arguments they credited my account with £200 (in amounts of £50, £50 and £100) in the hope I would accept this and settle their outstanding accounts. I refused to accept it and went to the Energy Ombudsman who found in my favour and awarded me a goodwill payment of £250. So in total I received £450 as credits against the outstanding balances I paid npower. My question therefore is should any of this be declared as my income and if so how should it be entered on my tax return.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.

This is compensation payment awarded through Energy Ombudsman and it is out of scope of income tax.

You should not report it as income in your tax return.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** hear. I see that this would apply to the £250 compensation awarded directly by the Ombudsman. Does it also apply to the credits given by npower before I went to the Ombudsman?

Thank you for your reply.

You don't have to report on your tax return any credits given by npower before you went to the Ombudsman.

I hope this is helpful.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes