taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Personal tax Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more

personal tax
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I am a UK citizen but have lived in the Middle East for 18 years and am thinking of returning to the UK. I don't have any assets or income in the UK so am a non resident. my question is if I do return before 6th April 2017 would I be liable for tax for the previous tax year?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question..

If you return to the UK to take up permanent residency here before 6 Apr 2017 (in the current tax year), your income prior to date of arrival would not be chargeable to UK income tax. Your income/earnings once you are here would be within the scope of income tax as you would become UK resident for tax purposes.

More information on Split year treatment can be found on pages 51 onwards of RDR3 here

http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/79f80f88be96439f8936b47a9add2214#

I hope this ishelpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes