Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have been cohabiting with my partner for more than 10

I have been cohabiting with my partner for more than 10 years but have claimed the single persons discount on council tax as I have not declared him living here.l would like to declare him and pay back the discount to the council.The council have written to me asking me to complete a single discount form or they will withdraw this discount from 1st April 2016.Ihave until the end of this month to do so.I will not complete this and wish to pay the full amount to them in the next few days.How much digging around will the council do?My partner does not have a previously registered address.
I wish to come clean and would like to know how to proceed.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Just contact them either via the telephone or by letter - advising that you no longer wish to claim single persons discount and advsie them effective from which date you wish this withdrawn, which ideally should be from 10 years ago.

The council will then recalculate what you owe along with interest charges

If you just make the declaration from now - they are more likely to ask for evidence as you are doing this instead of filling in the claim form, which will alert more suspicion then you having done this mid year, and I am sure you can appreciate for me to encourage you to declare any date than the correct date, would see me not doing my job properly

Let me know if I can assist further