Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I want to rent my house out and travel and at a later date

Customer Question

i want to rent my house out and travel and at a later date sell will this affect the tax free sale of my home?
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question

It could do, how long do you plan to travel for?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
maybe two or three years and after that i may want to sell
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your response

Then yes you will have a capital gain if you sell it, and its more than 18 months after leaving the property - however, if you come back to it within 3 years - and then sell at a later date then that 3 years can be exempted under the private residence relief rules which allwos a period of anything up to 3 years for any reason, but the imperative key is that you would have to take back up residence in the property

Let me know if I can assist further, but if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)