TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am 62 and retired. I have an occupational pension of £24k;

Customer Question

I am 62 and retired. I have an occupational pension of £24k; a salary from permanent part-time job (£2.6k per yr). I also do occasional freelance training for which I am paid gross. I'm typically busy from Sept - April and less so over the summer. I complete a self assessment return
each year. I am not registered as self employed because I am retired. I declare my income as 'other additional income' and pay tax on it. Can I offset against tax my train travel costs to different venues? I work, in the main, for two different clients
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.

There is no reason why you cannot be self-employed and retired at the same time. If you are self-employed but work in a fixed place, you cannot claim tax relief for the home to office and office to home trips. If you work at different places and have multiple clients, then I would be inclined to claim the travel expenses.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have two clients. One I do a lot of work for and the other less so. I pay my own travel costs to different venues in London but as its for the same main client I think it unlikely I can offset my travel costs against tax. Do you agree?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.

You can claim them. You say that you go to different places which makes the costs deductible even if you have one main client. If you were going to the same place every day, eg the client's head office, you would not be able to claim those costs unless you worked from home and rarely went to the head office.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.