Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have the following problem. A friend of mine has inherited

Hi. I have the following problem. A friend of mine has inherited £2.9 million after her father died 2 years ago. After a long battle the money is ready to be transferred but we are told that we will have to pay a fee to the Bank Of England of £5,000 for the transfer to go through. My friend does not have an online bank account so the money is being sent to me initially. What will happen to the money when it hits my account? Will inheritance tax be taken away by the bank immediately?
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for your question

This seems like a scam as the Bank of Eng;and would NEVER ask for money on behalf of the government, can you tell me more about this please.

Or money laundering - so is this a person you know in real life, are you or your friend UK citizens - are you saying you have to pay out the £5000 in the hope you then are paid back?

Please be careful here and provide more information

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I thought it was strange too. This person is an old friend of mine and we are both UK citizens. It is our lawyer in South Africa that has said we have to pay this £5,000 or the money will not be transferred.
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

This is a scam I am afraid - just type into your search engine (Google etc) South African scams - they range form Inheritance tax, lottery wins, helping out a friend etc

All of which start off with you needing to pay money before your large promised amount can be released - it is made worse because your friend may genuinely have a South African father who has does within the last few years

But money is NEVER asked for up front and certainly not from a UK source such as the bank of England or the UK government

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK I am trying to get some official documentation on this. Bear with me. If it wasn't for the fact that I have know this person for a long time then I would have thought it was a scam. Plus it has been going on for 2 years now which is a long time for a scam
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

HI

I can certainly see your point of view but no one other than HMRC or a UK solicitor on the instruction of HMRC (with tax payable to HMRC) would ask for money prior to release of funds.

So something is not right here - but I am happy to wait for some further information

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK thanks for this, things are a bit clearer.