Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am worried about obtaining a clearance certificate from

I am worried about obtaining a clearance certificate from the inland revenue. Inheritance tax was paid in March and the estate values by a professional. I am told that the case is still under review. What could be holding things up?
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question

Has anything perhaps been undervalued or not declared ? I assume you have applied for the clearance certificate

Has all the IHT paid - maybe you need to consult with the solicitor that dealt with the estate for advise as they could be more specific - or ask HMRC what is still under review (and make the request in writing asking for an explanation of the delay)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Sam,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, everything has been declared. Nothing has been undervalued as far as I know. The property was valued by a professional. The solicitors say that the inland revenue are very unpredictable when it comes to timing. They have called the inland revenue on various occasions and I have called twice and received a different answer each time. The first person I spoke to said that the calculations were fine, there was no problem and we should ha e clearance soon. There had been some changes from a paper to digital system and that was why there had been a delay. The person I spoke to today said that the case was still in valuation and that it had gone into the valuation department in June and that the process there can take 3 months. He then realised it was the end of August and said that it had gone there at the beginning of July. He said it could take months yet. This is very frustrating as we can't finalise matters and are in limbo.
I had not considered writing to them. Do you think I would get a better response this way?
Kind Regards
Cathy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Incidentally, probate was granted in March.
Cathy
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your response

On that basis I would wait until mid Sept - I do agree with your solicitor their timing is erratic, cases (usually more complex) can take up to 6 months ! What concerned me was that you were advised the case was still under review (if this was just in reference to the valuations review then nothing to worry about)

If you hear nothing by then then do write and state the timeline and the fact you have been given a different reason for the delay each time and that you feel the time waited is unnecessarily long and could you be advised something more factual (as to be told 3 months from June then have that changed to July - is clearly just nonsense!)

Sadly patience is the key here - but I think you have every right to complain if nothing within the next couple of weeks , and always put complaints in writing - keep a copy and send special delivery (so you can track the letter)

Do let me know if I can assist further - if you have all that you need (although I am sorry I could not offer a more defined answer) then it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have supplied (or click accept)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Sam,
Thanks for your advice. It gives me something to work around. I will do as you suggest and wait until mid September before writing. Yes, the review is regarding the valuation, which I have been worried about although like I said it was valued by a registered surveyor, so you have put my mind at rest a bit about that.
Yes, I will rate you,
Cathy