bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I left the UK in September 2008 and returned back to UK

Hi, I left the UK in September 2008 and returned back to UK employment on 8th September 2014,this employment was full time and paye. This employment I left on 23rd October 2015 and returned to back to the middle east, I have now been offered full employment back in the UK from November, how do I stand in the tax of earning overseas.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Keith

Sorry to be so long in responding, but Just Answer has erased my answer yet again.

The key to this is the Form P85 procedure. When you left in September 2008 did you submit this form to HMRC? If you did not you should do so immediately, fortunately the form is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will classify you as non resident. You advise that Department that you returned in 2014 and the process is reversed, the 14/15 tax year being split into two portions, one non resident, the other resident. When you went out to the Middle East again in 2015 you should submit another P85 and the 15/16 tax year should be similarly split. Whilst non resident you must be careful not to spend more than 91 days in the UK in any one tax year to retain your non resident status. On return advise HMRC and the 16/17 tax year will be a split year again.

If you carefully follow the P85 procedure your overseas earnings should not be subject to UK taxation.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance. If you do the P85 properly you will find dealing with HMRC much easier. You will be amazed at the number of people who do not and thus get themselves into a terrible fankel.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when I left the UK last year I submitted P85 and received a rebate in January, when I return back I presume there is another form to advise HMRC, I did read something about ties and family etc. I have a wife and 3 kids in the UK and a property. Will this have an effect on the situation.

No there is not, you just have to write to HMRC to inform them of your return. Don't forget the 2008 departure.

No your ties don't providing you are not in receipt of other UK income.

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS

Thank you for your support.