TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am going to build a small house on land I own, and rent it

I am going to build a small house on land I own, and rent it out to supplement my pension.
As its a new build ,can I claim back the vat element of the build costs ?
David Barker
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Unless it is your intention to live in the property yourself or it will be occupied by relatives, you cannot reclaim the VAT on the materials I'm afraid. Take a look here and here for more information.

Clearly, you cannot be expected to live in the property for the rest of your life necessarily but there is no set period that you need to live there. However, you should not advertise it for letting whilst you are in the process of the build as that will almost certainly scupper a claim if HMRC get wind of it.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very informative thank you
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.