bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I run a pink Floyd tribute band as a vat registered sole

Hi. I run a pink Floyd tribute band as a vat registered sole trader. I have the opportunity to do some shows in the baltics. The promoter is in Dublin. I would invoice my fee to the promoter in Dublin. He tells me as I'm invoicing a company in ROI for work performed outside the UK I don't need to charge. VAT. Is that right? I don't want to fall foul of the rules! Thanks, David
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith,I run a pink Floyd tribute band as a vat registered sole trader. I have the opportunity to do some shows in the baltics. The promoter is in Dublin. I would invoice my fee to the promoter in Dublin. He tells me as I'm invoicing a company in ROI for work performed outside the UK I don't need tocharge. VAT. Is that right? I don't want to fall foul of the rules!Thanks, David

Hello Daviud, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to be able to help you with your question.

This would constitute a standard rated supply, ie VAT charged at standard rate, 20%. However, if you have your Dublin promoter's VAT or equivalent number then the reverse charge applies. With the reverse charge you still charge output VAT, which the other side reclaims a an input in the normal manner, but at the same time you place a similar amount of VAT as an input in your books thus effectively making it zero rated as far as you are concerned. Don't blame me, I didn't invent this system! You will then have to submit periodic EU sales lists to record reverse charge transactions for statistical purposes.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks Keith, that makes sense.. Sort of! Appreciate your help. David

Yes, reverse charge is a bit of a pest!

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support, David.