Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am not allowed in the town where my house is, so by law I

Customer Question

I am not allowed in the town where my house is, so by law I am not allowed in my own home am I exempt from council tax on that property which was un occupied empty and now sold
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

As a general rule - no there would not be an exemption but each council has the ability to use its own discretion so I would write to your specific council providing evidence of the fact you were not permitted to occupy this property and ask them to consider applying an exemption as you had no choice but to live elsewhere.