Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I left my job in March this year. I have just received a

Customer Question

I left my job in March this year. I have just received a letter from HMR to say I have underpaid tax by £5000 for 2015/16.
The company I worked for paid my tax and I am now retired. Do I have to pay this tax or is my company liable for not sorting this out when I was employed by them.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Could you advsie the pay and tax you suffered in 2015/2016 did you have a lump sum payment when you ceased - did you have any company benefits such as a car?

I can then see if there is scope to appeal to HMRC and argue employer error.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

HI

Please let me know if I can assist further