Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have just moved back from the uae and want to check that I

Hi I have just moved back from the uae and want to check that I am eligible for split year tax treatment for this tax year. I moved back on 28 August and was in full time employment in Dubai until 25 August. I did not visit the UK prior to returning in this tax year. I will be completing the purchase of a property in this tax year. Many thanks!
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question

Can you advsie when you initially took this contract of employment abroad up? And whetehr you ahve been treated as not resident for each full tax year since that date

When you advise you will be completing a purcahse of property in this tax year - dd you mean in the UK?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi SamI moved to Dubai on 28 January 2014 and have been treated as non - resident for tax purposes from then.Yes the property is in the U.K. - I didn't own any property for the duration I was in Dubai.
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your response

Then yes you will be eligible for split year treatment for this tax year - so all income earned abroad will remin exempt from UK tax, only income earned after your return to the UK

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great thanks - is there anything I need to do to inform HMRC?Can I check which case I fall under?
Expert:  Sam replied 4 months ago.

HI

When any employment starts in the Uk or self employment or claims for benefits- this will be the first time that HMRC are informed of your return to the UK and recommencement of life here - until that time you need do nothing.

You do not fall under any case, you are under the non residency rules, which states that as long as you spend at least one full tax year (within contract) abroad, and visits back to the Uk are not in excess of 90 days, none of which are or work purposes - then from the date you depart the Uk to the date you return - you will earn the status of not resident and not ordinarily resident, hence the year of departure and year of return automatically are split year treatment to fulfil this fact.

Link here to clarify this factor (see Your residence status when you move)

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

I am just heading out to meet clients, if you have any follow up questions - i will deal with that on my returns, but if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Sam that's all for now - of course happy to. Really useful response many thanks!