taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I use my own car for business and I receive £450 per month

I use my own car for business and I receive £450 per month as a car allowance from my employer. I am taxed on this amount. I also have a fuel card from my employer which is on my P11D as a fuel card expense total £1619. I did 12306 miles for the financial year in question. Would I be entitled to tax relief?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question..

Please advise if all mileage stated was business use. If not, what was business mileage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the mileage stated is business use

Sarah, thank you for your prompt reply.

You can claim mileage allowance for business miles stated in your question. First 10,000 miles at 45p per mile and each mile over this number at 25p per mile.

When you complete employment section of your tax return report mileage claim in box 17 - business travel and subsistence. A copy of SA102 can be viewed here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/501125/sa102-2016.pdf

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been advised to complete a p87 form for tax relief not the sa102??

Thank you for your reply.

Your claim is for some £5,077 (12,306 miles).

Form P87 is used if your claim for allowable expenses is for £2,500 or less.

More information on this can be found here

https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/PersonalTax_iForms/1.0/P87&template=P87_en_1.2.3.xdp