bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a building contractor and have worked on a NEW BUILD

Customer Question

I am a building contractor and have worked on a NEW BUILD property owned by a disabled person. Generally this would be considered as zero rated for VAT. My problem lies with the fact that i am being employed by an architect who is non VAT affiliated and he is receiving money from client directly and paying me from his account. I need to invoice the architect therefore what does this do to the VAT status of the contract?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Here is the guidance from the HMRC web site:

'Evidence of eligibility

You’re responsible for making sure that your customer is eligible for zero-rateVAT, and you should be able to prove this from your records.

You can do this by getting your disabled customers (or a parent, guardian, doctor or another responsible person if they’re not able) to sign a declaration containing information that shows they’re eligible.'

Once you have done this Your invoices for your work can then be issued as zero rated supplies, ie subject to VAT, but at a rate of 0%. Input VAT can still be reclaimed as normal in your normal quarterly returns.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.