How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15935
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am domiciled in the UK and have been resident in the UK

Customer Question

I am domiciled in the UK and have been resident in the UK since 4/8/2012 to now. I am leaving the UK to be seconded with my company to work in Panama from 3/10/2016-30/4/2017 and will be renting my home in the UK for the same dates. Will I qualify for split year non-residency during this period and for the 30 days in 16/17 tax year?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 11 months ago.

Your Panama earnings will be taxable in the UK as you will continue to be treated as tax resident in the UK so split year treatment is irrelevant. The bare minimum you have to achieve to avoid UK tax on foreign earnings is to spend at least one complete tax year (6 April to 5 April) as a UK non-resident. You won't do that based on the period you are scheduled to be abroad.

I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 months ago.


I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.

Related Tax Questions