TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am domiciled in the UK and have been resident in the UK

Customer Question

I am domiciled in the UK and have been resident in the UK since 4/8/2012 to now. I am leaving the UK to be seconded with my company to work in Panama from 3/10/2016-30/4/2017 and will be renting my home in the UK for the same dates. Will I qualify for split year non-residency during this period and for the 30 days in 16/17 tax year?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Your Panama earnings will be taxable in the UK as you will continue to be treated as tax resident in the UK so split year treatment is irrelevant. The bare minimum you have to achieve to avoid UK tax on foreign earnings is to spend at least one complete tax year (6 April to 5 April) as a UK non-resident. You won't do that based on the period you are scheduled to be abroad.

I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.