TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I remrried and moved into my new wife's home. I put my own

I remrried and moved into my new wife's home. I put my own flat to rent with letting agents in July 2015. However no tenant was found until December 2015.
Am I allowed to claim property costs incurred between July and December as a deduction against rental income?
These costs include Council tax, ground rent d
Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 months ago.

Take a look here for information on pre-letting expenditure.

You can claim for some expenditure in advance of letting a property for the first time but not large scale capital expenditure which enhances the value of the property. So, costs incurred to make the property fit to let (repairs and maintenance) would normally be deductible. I don't think ground rent and council tax are incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the letting as you would have had to pay them in any event so I would not claim them. The same applies to mortgage interest in my opinion.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.