bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I'm currently earning £28K p.a.and approaching retirement. A

I'm currently earning £28K p.a.and approaching retirement. A company pension scheme will provide income of £14k p.a.and I wish to continue working for another 2/3 years. I have other pension pots worth £16K, £15K and £6k and wish to cash in these pots from retirement date. Should I stagger these payments?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

When you say 'cash in' do you mean liberate these pots or convert them to annuities?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith, I mean liberate them.

You do appreciate that with pension liberation you could loose up to 50% of these pots in charges?

25% of moneys liberated is tax free, the balance will be taxed at your marginal rate of tax assuming you are over 55 years of age. If under then the tax rate will be 55%.

Thus depending on the amounts liberated will depend whether you should stagger these so as not to put yourself into the 40% tax bracket.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most helpful. Thank you.

Thank you for your support.

Unfortunately current interest rates make annuities poor value. I thank my lucky stars I had some guaranteed rates and also got out a decade ago.