Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Class 3 credits Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any

Class 3 credits
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: my husband has been submitting tax returns since 1990 and has always been below the earnings limit for tax. He has always assumed that his class 3 credits were being recorded and going to his state pension. On asking for an pension report recently he has no class 3 NI credits registered.
Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Did your husband pays these voluntarily each year or has recently made a payment to reflect several years? If not where did you believe the credits would come from?

Did he continue to pay Class 2 National Insurance each month or quarter (changed to annually from 2014/2015)

Pleae advsie further

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He thought that they would be automatically credited when he submitted his tax return to HMRC.
Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

NO I am sorry your information and understanding is wrong - they still have to be paid from the individual as a rule

If an individual is below the National Insurance limit for Class 2 National Insurance, then there is an option to make this payments to the National Insurance office either through the year of year end or HMRC would have applied a small earnings exception certificate and not charged them.(this has now been scrapped and the option to pay them yearly applies to all regardless of their income/turnover for self employment (just those below the limit are still given the option)

Then you have Class 3 contributions these are also voluntary but usually for people either living abroad or those that have not made full contributions over the years and wish to bring their full record up to date.

Your husband would not have been credited with any contributions unless (and these are just the main ones)

1) he was claiming Job seekers allowance or other benefits such as sick pay where a credit is paid

2) Up until 2009 parents who were the named claimant for child benefit also received credits - but his has now been replaced by parents of under 12 where the family as a whole are on low incomes and these still have to be claimed for

3) Tax credits with a disability premium

The only option your husband will have now is to make Class 3 voluntary contributions but I am afraid these will cost £14.10 per week to bring his record up to date (this is 733.20 per missing year and to get a full record towards a state pension its 30 years - but this will provide the FULL state pension whereas self employed Class 2 contributions would only ever have provided a basic state pension (the lower end of entitlement)

Please let me know if I can assist further