bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a commercial retail property held inside an LLP

Customer Question

I have a commercial retail property held inside an LLP structure (with other properties). The LLP is registered for VAT but this individual property is opted out of VAT. The tenant has vacated this property and it is subject to a claim fo dialpidations of approximately £65000 exc VAT.
I assume that even though my LLP is registered I will be unbale to claim the VAT back on these works for this property, is that the case please?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Well, yes and no! What you actually do to avoid VAT on the dilapidations is to have the builder not charge VAT on the works.

Have a look at VAT Notice 742 on this subject.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.