TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

If I marry someone with a British and American passport does

I am British, if I marry someone with a British and American passport does he, as an American, have to declare my money in any tax returns? Or is my own money kept separate?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

A US person (citizen or resident alien) is required to report all their worldwide income. If that US person is filing a joint US return with their Non US spouse, then all income of both are required to be shown on the US return.

A US person can file joint or Married Filing Separate. If the file separate form their spouse then only their own income is reported and none of the Non US spouse is shown on the US return.

If you are not in the US and you are not a US person in any way then your income is separate form yoru spouse as long as you do not file a joint US return with your spouse.

Please let me know if you need clarification. If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response. (look for the STARS or SMILEY FACES)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you that's great. And may i just check this is the same for any current savings and any future income?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 9 months ago.

This law has not changed. A Non US person is only taxed in the US on US sourced income. If that Non US person chooses to file a joint US return with their US spouse then the law says that all their income is subject to tax reporting. That law is still the same today and shows no current move to change.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I get credit for the response.