bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have made an mistake on my tax return and HMRC have mailed

I have made an mistake on my tax return and HMRC have mailed me to let me know am I belter to call them straight away or get some advice first I omitted ny car benefit by mistake not deliberate
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Everybody makes mistakes, even HMRC! Just write a letter amending your tax return and all should be resolved. I do not advise telephoning a tax office. Firstly it takes an age to get a reply and secondly there is always the chance of the agent to whom you speak getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all! Keep to letters then you have a hard copy record of what has been said.

This is definitely a Dad's Army 'Don't panic!' situation which can be easily be resolved by a simple letter.

I do hope that I have been able to show you the way ahead in this matter. I reside in the Borders by the way.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Keith they mailed me saying they were investigating the Claim and saying I owed them £2340 and I could face prosecution ? hence the panic so you think a letter would do it ? also what would you charge for doing my return this year as I a passing the borders next week

Typical HMRC sabre rattling the little people yet dare not challenge the big boys with their armies of aggressive and expensive accountants skilled in tax avoidance or even tax evasion. A letter will suffice. Frankly HMRC's attitude is a disgrace as even a paper return does not need to be in until the end of the month!

With respect do you really need assistance in your tax return? All you need to do is not make the same mistake again! Depending on the complexity I would chage over three figures through my service company.

Thank you for your support.