Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I've been told I might need to register for VAT (I'm a

Hi there,
I've been told I might need to register for VAT (I'm a self-employed writer). I am in a panic because only just filing my 2015-16 return now. My earnings (tax deductable) for that financial year after expenses etc are nowhere near the threshold, but the initial figure (before agents' commission and expenses etc) is just over.
What should I do? And if I have made a huge mistake and not registered when I should have done, what could happen to me?
Many thanks,
Charlie
Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

Hi Charlie

Thanks for your post - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

You should get registered as a matter of urgency as its your turnover (pre expenses and any commission) that are considered as the VAT review level and ask you will also need to ask HMRC VAT to backdate this from the date that the £82,000 threshold was breached.

The downside is that you will owe VAT as this should have been charged from the date that the threshold was breached (and note this does not run in conjunction with the tax year - but a breach of the threshold in any 12 month period)

But by coming forward this will be less costly then if HMRC pursue for the fact you should have been VAT registered and they will be agreeable to a payment plan of VAT owed.

Let me know if I can assist further